The new year is upon us and we’re all saying halle-freaking-lujah! 2020 was a tough year for well… everyone. Add to that the typical stress of the holiday season (though still my favorite time of year), and it’s no wonder that we’re all a little burnt out. Luckily, I learned a secret trick to relaxing in 2020: using CBD, the hottest ingredient in the wellness and beauty industry, to calm the F down.
Not to try to “out stress” anyone, but after spending MONTHS alone in my house with zero human interaction while simultaneously losing my job (and my two side hustles), I was incredibly stressed and overwhelmed last year. You might think, “oh but sitting at home and having no professional responsibilities sounds nice!” Well… um… you thought wrong.
I applied to literally hundreds of jobs before finally finding some freelance clients and a little work to keep me busy. Not knowing if I’d have enough money to pay my bills each month brought on a lot of unwanted emotions. Honestly, it’s a bit stressful even admitting all of this on a public forum. I was embarrassed to be unemployed after working my ass off for years and priding myself on my career.
But, there’s only so much you can control. Especially during a worldwide pandemic, ya know?
That’s why I’ve learned to embrace the things that can help me to relax. Because some days, I have all the intentions in the world to knock out a big to-do list, and my anxiety has another idea. When those days hit, I’ve started whipping out a CBD product or two.
I hope that by now you’ve delved into the wonderful world of CBD yourself. But, if you haven’t I’m here to tell you all about why you should! And, if you still think that CBD is a big, bad drug, start by reading about my initial experience with CBD tinctures in my blog post here. Because, well, it’s not. It’s completely safe and will not cause you to fail any drug tests.
I really feel that one of the most comfortable places to start testing out CBD is through topical products. Lotions, oils, and bath bombs are the way to go. I was recently sent a package of Prana Principle CBD products to test out in the battle against stress and wow, I’m hooked.
For me, self-care Sunday became self-care Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, too in 2020.
A relaxing bath on a Tuesday night makes you feel extra pampered and can help to melt that stress away. Or, throw on a hand or foot mask while sipping on some wine and reading a book by the fire. That’s my dream Friday night right there. Wow, do I sound old and completely lame? If so, I don’t even care because living a total zen life is my main goal right now.
But, a standard self-care day is not enough anymore. We’re getting a little extra here. Your bath time, mask time, and bedtime can all be taken to the next level with some CBD.
How to Use CBD to Calm Down & De-Stress at Night
Here’s my routine for a relaxing night:
- Unwind with a nice warm bath. Using the Jasmine CBD Bath Bomb from Prana Principle, I lay back, turn on some jazz music (seriously, my new favorite Spotify channels are all jazz), and either read some or completely zone out. The scent of this bath bomb is incredible and it’s moisturizing plus relaxing. What more could you ask for? CBD in a bath bomb can relax your muscles and your mind. It’s the ultimate treat.
- After the bath, I spend some extra time on my skincare routine and make sure to throw on some cozy pajamas. If your body is sore from working out or from all the tension of your stress, I’d recommend using this cold therapy cream to relieve the pain.
- Next, I relax on the sofa with some Netflix or more book reading. I throw on either the foot or hand mask from Prana Principle. Or both, if you’re feeling a little crazy. I don’t know about ya’ll but my feet are always a little rough in the wintertime. The foot mask makes me feel so much more hydrated and weirdly… comforted.
- Before heading to bed for the night, I follow my obsessive routine (don’t forget the pillow spray!) and make sure to use some Prana Principle sleep lotion. It has the most calming lavender scent and helps me to wind down for the night without thinking about all of the things that are stressing me the F out. Bonus: along with the CBD and lavender, there’s melatonin in the lotion! What more could you ask for, really?
- Last step: turn on a sleep story from Calm. I know this sounds weird, but I promise, you’ll be out like a baby and won’t be tossing and turning thinking about all of the things stressing you out.
So, the moral of the story is this: use CBD to calm your mind and your body. You can thank me later!