You know how people always ask “what’s something you would tell your younger self”? Well, one of the first things I would say is “wear your dang sunscreen, girl!” SPF is so important for the health of our skin and it’s become a part of my daily routine. While it’s important to put SPF on year-round, summer days are just around the corner which means beach (or pool) days and I felt like it’s an important time of year to talk sunscreen, ya know? So, let’s chat SPF…
Here’s why you NEED to wear sunscreen
- Even when it’s overcast and no matter the season, you’re still getting effected by the sun.
- According to Skincancer.org, an estimated 90% of skin aging is caused by the sun.
- It’s not just to avoid sunburn. Sunscreen helps prevent signs of aging, decreased the chance of getting skin cancer, and keeps your skin tone nice and even.
- Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the US.
My Favorite Sunscreen Products
Now that that’s out of the way, lemme share my favorite sunscreen products with you!
For everyday use: I’m addicted to the TULA protect + glow daily sunscreen gel. It’s a clean product and cruelty free, which is a major plus, and it doesn’t break me out. It provides a nice little glow, but doesn’t make you look greasy. The protect + glow is an SPF 30 that not only protects your skin against the sun, but also against pollution and blue light. One of the reasons I really regret not being more regimented in my SPF usage is because ya girl has major sun spots and uneven skin tone on her face. TULA is here to save the day by not only preventing future sun damage but also fighting against your past mistakes. Two of the ingredients, Pineapple and papaya, help to even out your skin tone. Truly, you need to try this one!
Favorite tinted SPF: I really trust this product because it was recommended to me by my dermatologist AND my esthetician. Can’t get much better than that, right? The Elta MD tinted sunscreen is a great option for everyday use as well. I always return to the UV Clear Tinted Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 and have used it for years. I especially love it in the summer seasons. The tint makes it great for those no-makeup days. The bonus is that it’s calming for your skin and helps with prior sun damage, too. If you’ve got sensitive skin, this is the one for you!
What I keep in my beach bag: when I’m going to be out in the sun for extended periods I always whip out my Sun Bum products. All Sun Bum products are cruelty-free and reef friendly. This is a major bonus because you’d be surprised how much sunscreen can impact marine life. These are my favorite Sun Bum products that I’ve tried:
- SPF 30 Sunscreen Lip Balm: I’m addicted to having hydrated lips and hope to keep them looking young as long as possible. My lips are definitely impacted by the sun, so I always coat them in SPF on days in the sun. I love the coconut but there are so many scents to try!
- SPF30 Sunscreen Face Stick: I love not having to rub this one in. The stick makes application easy and the smell is TO DIE FOR! But, it does feel slightly greasy. On a beach day, I really don’t mind this, but sharing a fair warning! It works super well and when I reapply throughout the day I’ve never been burnt while wearing this!
- Original Sunscreen Spray: This one comes with a few different SPF levels depending on the protection you need. It works super well and I always, always go for the spray over the lotion.
Stock up on your SPF now and trust me when I say protect your precious skin from the sun!